Legal Services


Hello, my name is Henry A. Jefferson, and I am a Philadelphia attorney experienced at drafting a wide array of Philadelphia deeds. I will draft your deed for a reasonable fee, plus the cost of the Philadelphia County filing fee. Certain types of deeds like Estate Deeds will cost more. This price does not include office visits or notary services.

Common reasons that clients hire me to prepare a deed include:

• Adding another person’s name to the deed, thus making that party a co-owner of the property
• Removing a party from a deed, thus removing that person as an owner
• Conveying real estate from a decedent’s estate to heirs
• Changing the way real estate is owned, such as owning a property as Husband and Wife, or Joint
Tenants With Rights of Survivorship, instead of owning the real estate as Tenants in Common
• Correcting owner(s) names on a deed so that City services can be obtained
• Changing property ownership interest deeds before or after divorce

Listed below are the various types of deeds that I prepare for clients:

Special Warranty Deeds are the most commonly used warranty language in deeds. A special warranty is a covenant (legal agreement/promise) by the grantor (owner of the property) that she will defend the grantee (buyer or person receiving the property) against any claims against the property as a result of her actions while the owner.

General Warranty Deeds create a covenant by the grantor that she will defend against any and all claims against the property. The grantor is essentially promising a grant of perfect title. Considering the weight and legal implications of such a promise, general warranty deeds are rarely used.

Quit Claim Deeds transfer the grantor’s interest in a property, whatever it may be, to the grantee. Quit claim deeds contain no warranties of title. For these reasons, it is the least advantageous form of title for a grantee.

Deed of Confirmation is used to clarify a grantee’s interest in a property and confirm ownership. For instance, if three parties owned a property as joint tenants, and one of the joint tenants dies, the parties may desire a deed of confirmation to make it clear the property has only has two owners.

Estate Deeds are used for example to transfer title to property from the estate of a deceased relative to the heirs. For a property to be transferred from an estate, the estate must be probated. Through the probate process, a Personal Representative (Executor or Administrator) of the estate is appointed. The Personal Representative has the legal authority to execute a deed transferring the property from the estate to the heirs.

Deed of Correction is used to correct mistakes in a prior deed. These deeds are often used to correct the spelling of a party’s name.

EXAMPLE: Roger Moor is the record owner of his property. He wants to apply for a low-income payment plan for his water bill. To be eligible, he must prove he is the owner of the property. Roger submits his application and a copy of his deed to the water department. His application is rejected because the representative determines that he does not own his house. The rejection notice states the property belongs to Roger Moore, not Roger Moor. A corrective deed is used to correct the spelling of his name on the deed so that Mr. Moor can obtain a low-income payment plan for water service.

For more information, call, reply above, or visit Jefferson Law LLC at:

Comments are closed.

© 2011 Legal Services. All Rights Reserved.

This blog is powered by the Wordpress platform.